Are you living in fear of inheriting diabetes because it seems like everyone in your family has it? It’s a common concern for many of my clients and members, but let me assure you that your family history doesn’t have to be your destiny. With the right lifestyle and nutrition choices, you can break the cycle and enjoy a vibrant, diabetes-free future. And I know what you’re thinking- it’s that lifestyle and nutrition wording again. You’ve not seen nutrition and lifestyle the way I do it.
In fact, you’ve seen blanket statements and templates spread everywhere. Even in my endocrinologists office when I asked for support in the past, the dietician in that office was having me eat less protein and more carbs. Thank goodness I knew better than that because more carbs and less protein sky rocketed my blood sugar symptoms. In this blog post, though, together we’ll explore how to prevent diabetes and the pain that comes with it, offering you a vision of a healthier, happier life. And together is how health care should be managed– meaning including you!
The Diabetes Dilemma: Many individuals are living with blood sugar regulation issues and progressing through the stages of diabetes without even realizing it. The truth is, the road to diabetes is marked by silent or normalized discomfort, and it’s a journey you’d rather avoid.
Stage 1: Compromised At this early stage, you may experience fatigue, unexplained weight gain, and frequent thirst. Your body’s insulin sensitivity is declining.
Stage 2: Hyperinsulinemia & Reactive Hypoglycemia As the compromised blood sugar balance progresses, you may suffer from strong cravings for sweets and caffeine, ravenous hunger, fatigue and low energy levels, skin tingling around the mouth, sweating, rapid or irregular heart beats, headaches, migraines, not thinking clearly. This may also be the time when your thyroid hormone numbers may come in as hypothyroidism. Managing these chronic stymptoms can be exhausting, both physically and emotionally.
Stage 3: Insulin Resistance In the advanced stages of blood sugar imbalance you’ll experience increased brain fog and difficulty focusing, increased blood sugar and cholesterol levels, higher blood pressure, hyperpigmentation of the skin (neck/armpits), depression & mood disorders, period problems, infertility, thyroid numbers for sure are off, slow healing from cuts and bruises, premature aging of the skin and bones.
Stage 4: Metabolic Syndrome This is usually when people are diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Notice there are 3 stages of signs and symptoms your blood sugar is out of balance BEFORE this stage? Here are the symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome: inflammation, fasting levels of glucose above 100mg/dL, A1C above 5.5, low HDL, high LDL, and high triglycerides. High blood pressure.
Stage 5: Type 2 Diabetes This is typically when you’ll be diagnosed as diabetic. And yet, many people have come to believe the symptoms prior to this are all the normal part of aging. The problem is just because something is common, doesn’t mean it is normal for the body. Here are the symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes: extreme hunger or thirst, persistent hunger even after a meal, frequent urination, tingling in the hands or feet, chronic fatigue, frequent infections/illnesses, extremely high blood glucose levels (at least one reading above 200mg/dL), A1C above 6.4.
This does not have to be your story, though.
The Power of Prevention:
Now, let’s talk about the bright side. Imagine a life where diabetes doesn’t dictate your health and well-being. It’s entirely possible with proactive lifestyle and nutrition choices.
1. Embrace a Balanced Diet: Make whole foods your best friends. Incorporate plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats into your meals. Avoid excessive sugar and processed foods, as they can contribute to insulin resistance. This includes gluten, margarine, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, Country Crock, Morton’s Salts.
2. Prioritize Physical Activity: Regular exercise is a powerful tool in preventing diabetes. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity each week. My Wilderness of Wellness members and my high level 1:1 clients get access to a workout app that allows them to show up to the gym with confidence knowing their workouts are balancing their blood sugar every single time! If you’re not there yet, even simple activities like brisk walking or dancing can make a significant difference.
3. Maintain a Healthy Weight: If you’re overweight, shedding a few pounds can greatly reduce your diabetes risk. Achieving a healthy weight through a combination of diet and exercise is a key step. Doing so through healthy ways, though, is key. Dropping weight too fast with programs like Optavia or Ozempic/Wegovy actually cause more problems long term. My high level 1:1 clients dive deep going behind the food to figure out WHY the extra weight is on the body in the first place.
4. Manage Stress: Chronic stress can elevate blood sugar levels. Practice stress-reduction techniques like praying, deep breathing exercises, epsom salt baths for 20 minutes, getting outside in the sun and grass to keep your stress levels in check.
5. Regular Check-ups: Visit your healthcare provider regularly for check-ups and screenings. Early detection of pre-diabetes can be a game-changer in your journey towards a diabetes-free life. If you don’t have a trusted healthcare provider, I have opened up clinical visits for you to be your naturopathic healthcare provider. You can learn more about this package here.
Discover Holistic Solutions at Crying In My Cheesecake Holistic Health Clinic:
At Crying In My Cheesecake, we’re here to support you on your journey to optimal health. Myself and my team of experienced professionals specializes in holistic approaches to health and wellness. We can provide personalized guidance on nutrition, exercise, stress management, and more.
By addressing the root causes of health issues, we help you break free from the cycle of diabetes and regain control of your life. Don’t let your family history determine your future. Book a free discovery call with me today, and let’s work together to create a healthier, happier you.
Breaking the family diabetes chain is within your reach. By implementing these lifestyle and nutrition choices, you can prevent diabetes and avoid the pain that often accompanies it. Your journey to a brighter, diabetes-free future starts today.
Take the first step towards a healthier you by booking a free discovery call with me.
Your path to wellness awaits!